Since I no longer have a regular oven, but an electrical one, I try to use it as little as possible. Paying exagerated electrical bills is not one of my life goals. My sweet tooth, on the other hand, has another say in the matter, so I recently started a hunt for recipes that don’t need any baking at all and are also easy to make (as much as I love cooking, I don’t always have time on my hands).
One of the yummy recipes I found is actually one I liked since I was a kid. It has fruit, biscuits and lots of whipped cream. It doesn’t need any baking and it’s actually easy to make. The hardest part is waiting for it to be ready for serving…
I think it’s called ladyfinger cake, but the name is not very important. The important thing is how to make it:
a cup of sugar
a cup of milk
6-7 gelatin sheets
whipped cream (about 3 cups)
slices of fruit (pineapple, kiwi, oranges, strawberry… etc.)
2 packs of ladyfingers
How to prepare the cake:
1. Mix the eggs with sugar and a pinch of salt until the sugar melts. Add the milk and heat it up until it thickens: Mix continuously!
2. Let the mix cool for a few minutes, until you prepre the gelatin: let it moist in cold water for 10 minutes. Then add it to the mix and stirr well. Now let your cream cool.
3. Prepare the whipped cream. Mix 2 cups with the egg cream and leave 1 cup for decorating the cake at the end.
4. In a large bowl, cover the insides with plastic cooking wrap (or plastic food wrap) and then place the ladyfingers on the sides and bottom (like ladyfinger walls and ladyfinger floor)
5. On the ladyfinger floor place random slices of fruit. On top of the fruit pour your cream prepared earlier and on top of the cream, cover with ladyfingers.
6. Keep the cake in the fridge for at least a few hours. Over night, if you think you can resist the temptation, so the gelatin can thicken.
7. In the morning, turn the cake upside down and decorate with whippes cream, fruit, chocolate, whatever you want, and serve.